Monday 4 October 2010

Recognising plot conventions

I went on to IMDB and printed out part of the synopsis to the 2009 film 'Jennifer's body'. Then I went through it using different coloured highlighters and highlighted the key elements of the horror movie genre. Including stock characters, plot and stock situations, themes and backgrounds and decor. I realised that most horror movies contain some kind of mystery. This is so that the audience feel anxious which sets them up nicely for any scary moments. I then sat down with my other team member, Jessica, and we looked through the differences between a movie she had highlighted, 'Nightmare On Elm Street' and 'Jennifer's body'. Both plots included are lots of gore and blood. They also both had main protagonists who seemed harmless and defenceless. The villain in both films was someone out seeking revenge and at the beginning they seemed unstoppable. During this lesson I found out that all horror movies that their characters in a situation which seems impossible to get out of because this will always build a lot of tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment